A cozy fire crackling, frost on the grass, and golden aspen leaves call for an equally cozy breakfast dish. Try this simple, but slightly decadent, version of a favorite breakfast for many.
Hearty Baked Oats
Note: you can bake this in a small casserole dish, but I prefer to use mugs or oven-safe bowls for a better presentation and faster baking time.
210 g almond milk, unsweetened (or any milk variety)
1 whole egg
60 g Vermont maple syrup or honey
30 g olive oil (or melted butter)
1 ripe banana
½ tsp kosher salt – more or less to taste
½ tsp cinnamon and / or nutmeg
½ tsp baking powder
120 g rolled old fashioned oats
½ cup fresh berries & nuts of your choice
- Heat oven to 325
- Spray or butter small casserole dish or mugs, place on a cookie sheet
- Blend first 8 ingredients like a smoothie in a blender
- Gently mix in oats, berries, and nuts
- Portion into baking dishes, leaving room to rise a bit
- Bake about 25-45 minutes, just until set – time depends on the dish size
- Let cool about 20 minutes before eating
- Drizzle with additional maple syrup if you like!