With the spring weather showing us glimpses of evenings on the deck, here is a recipe from Chef Jonathon to take advantage of one of the many veggies starting to show up fresh and in-season.
3.5 lb Asparagus
100 g Butter
50 ml Crème Fraiche
750 ml Milk
300 ml Vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim tough ends off asparagus, discard. Slice asparagus into 3 mm rounds.
- Melt butter in saucepot over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and healthy pinch of kosher salt. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add stock, crème Fraiche, and milk. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Puree in blender in batches for at least 3 minutes per batch. Serve immediately, or otherwise pour into bowl set over ice bath to chill as fast as possible to retain color. Reheat gently OR serve chilled.
2 cups Buttermilk
2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Cayenne
- Whisk all ingredients together until salt is dissolved. Pour into large enough pan to hold the buttermilk at a thickness of about ¼ to ½” thickness. Freeze.
- Once frozen, use a fork to scrape it into “snow.”
Place a pile of snow in one edge of bowl, pour hot soup in around. Serve immediately