The grass is greening up, the aspens are budding, the Pasque flowers are blooming, and the baby cows are dotting the meadows along the Elk River Valley. Yep, it is spring in the Rockies! With that, the chefs picked a perfect spring recipe to share with you. We hope this brightens your day and tantalizes your taste buds!
Spring Vegetable Panzanella Salad
8 slices crusty French bread, crust cut off
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ cup sherry vinegar
1 ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, sliced, blanched, and chilled
1 cup fresh English peas, blanched and chilled
2 radishes, thinly sliced
8 spring onions, or green onion, thinly sliced
2 cups packed baby arugula or dandelion greens
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon each fresh parsley, basil, and chervil, torn
4 ounces firm sheep or goat cheese, such as ricotta salata or feta
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bread into ½ inch squares, toss with olive oil, season to taste, and toast in the oven at 325 degrees F until brown and crouton-like, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the Dijon, vinegar, and olive oil, and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables and herbs, season to taste, and toss together with the vinaigrette.
- Toss together with the toasted bread and cheese and check the seasoning.
- Serve sooner rather than later.