Cornbread Panzanella Salad (makes 4 quarts)
Ingredients (corn bread): (by weight)
17 ounces eggs, beaten lightly
20 ounces sugar
22.5 ounces cornmeal
29 ounces flour
1 ounce baking powder
½ ounce salt
10 ounces vegetable oil
8.5 ounces unsalted butter, soft
1 ounce rosemary, chopped
42 ounces milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whip the eggs and sugar together until the ribbon stage (when the whisk is lifted out of the mixture it will leave a risen “ribbon” of batter on the surface before sinking back into the rest of the batter, about 5 minutes on high)
3. Mix together the dry ingredients and the other wet ingredients separately.
4. With a rubber spatula, Scrape down the bowl of the mixer with the eggs and sugar.
5. Alternate adding wet and dry ingredients until all ingredients are combined.
6. Spread batter onto a greased 18 inch x 12 inch baking pan and bake for 8 minutes, rotate pan and then an additional 8 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
1 red bell pepper, small diced
1 Yellow bell pepper, small diced
2 Poblano peppers, small diced
1 large red onion, small diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
6 cloves garlic, minced
12 green onions, sliced thinly
2 tblsp each fresh Parsley, Sage, Marjoram, chopped
½ cup sherry vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the cooled cornbread into ½ inch squares and toast in the oven at 325 degrees F until brown and crouton-like, about 15 minutes.
2. Toss all ingredients in a large bowl and taste for seasoning.
3. Serve sooner rather than later.