Date: July 4th, 2014
Ingredients (cake batter):
1 ½ cups cornmeal
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound butter, soft
3 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups sour cream
Procedure (cake batter):
1. Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
2. In the Hobart mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
3. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
4. Add the vanilla and sour cream and combine until smooth.
5. Add the dry ingredients and combine until incorporated. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4 ounces butter, divided
1 cup brown sugar, divided
6 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1. Melt half the butter in each of the cast iron pans, add the brown sugar and cook until it bubbles together.
2. Divide the blueberries into each pan and remove from the stove. Top with half of the cornmeal batter and place on a sheet pan and then in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
3. Allow to cool slightly for about 15 minutes, run a knife around the outer edge and invert the cake onto a cutting board for slicing. Top with vanilla whipped cream.