Chef Matt has updated his Empanda Dough recipe to make it more usable. Enjoy!
Makes: around 50(varies on the thickness of the dough and size of cutter)
4 ½ cups – All purpose flour
3 cups – Masa harina
1 tbsp. – baking powder
1 tbsp. – Salt
12 oz. – melted butter
½ to 2 cups – water
1-Egg blended with 2 ounces of milk
- Mix together the flour, masa, baking powder and salt in a kitchen aid mixer
- Slowly add in the melted butter on medium speed and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add in the water until the dough pulls together but is not sticky.
- Divide the dough into 3rds and let rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes before shaping.
- On a floured surfaced roll out the dough to 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch in thickness.
- Cut out the dough with a 4 to 5 inch pastry cutter, brush ½ of the dough with the egg milk mixture add in your filling ( about 1 ½ tbsp.) then fold over the dough and seal up the empanada.
- Once all of the empanadas are done egg wash the top side and bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown.
This recipe can be easily cut in half or quartered to make the amount you need.